Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Saint Patrick's Day



My favorite holiday of the year is St. Patrick’s Day. I am 100 percent Irish and I love celebrating this holiday even when I was little. In high school I went to the city every year to see the parade but once I got into college the week of St. Patrick’s Day; I was always in Florida for Spring Training for the Molloy College Softball team. So this year is the first year in a while that I get to go to the city again to celebrate the holiday.

Saint Patrick’s Day is an annual feast day that celebrates Saint Patrick, who is the most commonly recognized patron saint of Ireland. It is celebrated on March 17 every year. Most people wear green ribbons and shamrocks, which started in the early 17th century. The shamrock is a three-leaved plant which is used to explain the Holy Trinity. The New York parade has become the largest Saint Patrick’s Day parade in the world. Many people march in the parade including bands, firefighters, military and police groups, cultural clubs. The parade marches up 5th avenue in Manhattan .

VOCABULARY:

Holiday: a day on which one is exempt from work.
St. Patrick’s Day: is an annual feast day that celebrates Saint Patrick, who is the most commonly recognized patron saint of Ireland
Parade: a place where a bunch of people get together to celebrate an occasion. Spring Training: every year before the season we went down to Florida to get ready to play in games
Saint Patrick: who is the most commonly recognized patron saint of Ireland. Shamrock: a three-leaved plant which is used to explain the Holy Trinity

SENTENCES

1). Most people wear green ___________________ on St. Patrick's Day.
2). Every year i go to the city to watch the _______________________.
3). My favorite ______________ is St. Patrick's Day.
4). Every year the Mets go down to Florida for ________________________.
5). The patron saint of Ireland is _______________________________.
6). On March 17 we celebrate _______________________.


Grammar Point

Over the past four blogs i talked about two of my favorite holidays. I want you to read over what I wrote and I want you to write what your favorite holiday is. It doesn't have to be a holiday known to most people it can be from where you come from or your culture.

2 comments:

  1. Good entry on St. Patrick's Day! When I lived in Manhattan, I walked down to 86th St. every year to watch the end of the parade. I love bagpipes and kilts.

    In your grammar point section, you give a writing assignment, but don't really mention any particular grammar issue. For example,you could talk about nouns and ask the students to underline all the nouns and use some of them in their description of their favorite holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle, I read this a while back but had forgotten how to post a comment, sorry! I like your St. Patrick's day enthusiasm. It's so nice that you got to enjoy it this year. Did you have a great time? Keep up the good blogging!

    ReplyDelete