Friday, April 16, 2010

NY Mets



My family and I have been huge Mets fans since I can remember. My family loves the Mets, Jets, and the Rangers. I had a dog that we got in 1994, when the Rangers won the Stanley Cup, and we named our dog Ranger. My dog died last year and we got a new one within about three months, and it was the same year that Shea Stadium was closing, so we named our dog Shea. As you can tell my family is huge sports fan.

Baseball is a bat-and-ball sport played between two teams of nine players each. The goal is to score runs by hitting a thrown ball with a bat and touching a series of four bases arranged at the corners of a ninety-foot square, or diamond. Players on one team (the batting team) take turns hitting against the pitcher of the other team (the fielding team), which tries to stop them from scoring runs by getting hitters out in any of several ways. A player on the batting team can stop at any of the bases and later advance by a teammate's hit or other means. The teams switch between batting and fielding whenever the fielding team records three outs. One turn at bat for each team is an inning; nine innings make up a professional game. The team with the most runs at the end of the game wins.

My favorite team is The New York Mets. The New York Mets are a professional baseball team based in the borough of Queens in New York City. The Mets are a member of the East Division of Major League Baseball’s National League. My favorite player is David Wright. He wears number 5 on his jersey and he plays third base.


Vocabulary:
Baseball: game between two 9 player teams
Hitting: someone uses a bat and hits the ball
Arranged: to place in a certain order
Square: having all four sides of equal length
Diamond: the space enclosed by home plate and three bases
Pitcher: player on each team who stands on the mound and throws the ball to the plate
Teammate: a member of the same team
Professional: job that someone makes money doing
Queens: a borough in New York City
East Division: one of the four divisions in baseball
Major League Baseball National League: there are two leagues in major league baseball.

Sentences:
(1) I wish I was a _____________________ baseball player.
(2) _________________ and __________________ are shapes that are used in baseball.
(3) The Mets are in the_________________ and the ______________________ of Major League Baseball.
(4) I live in _____________ which is a borough in New York City.
(5) My favorite sport is _________________.
(6) Kevin ___________________ the bats in size order.
(7) When John was ______________ he got hit with the baseball.
(8) My sister was the _______________ of our team.
(9) My sister and I are members of the same team so we are __________________.


Grammar Point:
Nouns:

A noun is a word used to name a person, animal, place, thing, and abstract ideas.
All the highlighted words are nouns:

Late last year our neighbours bought a goat.
Portia White was an opera singer.
The bus inspector looked at all the passengers' passes.
According to Plutarch, the library at Alexandria was destroyed in 48 B.C.
Philosophy is of little comfort to the starving.

Can you go back through my blog and write down the nouns that I used in this entry?

Resource:
http://www.uottawa.ca/academic/arts/writcent/hypergrammar/nouns.html

1 comment:

  1. Hi Michelle,

    I enjoyed reading your entry and I think your choice of dog names is great! I am a dog lover also, I have Coco and Oreo. Your blog is visually welcoming, great work!

    ReplyDelete